Bathroom Flooring
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

Bathroom Flooring

by bluenun » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:04 pm

I have wooden floorboards and carpet in my bathroom which I want to take up and replace with either bathroom floor tiles or a bathroom laminate floor covering.

I have read the tiling project and understand that whichever of the 2 I do I am supposed to lay 18mm marine ply first at a 90 degree angle to my floorboards and fix this at 300mm centres and countersink the screws.

But if I lay the 18mm ply and then the floor tiles the finished floor height will be higher than it is now.
That would be fine but the bathroom tiles wont go into the existing threshold that connects the bathroom to the hallway which is carpeted.

I really do not want a step, is there any way round this?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:06 am

easiest way is to remove your floorboards and fix your ply straight to the joists. floorboards are usually three-quarter inch, or 18mm in new money so would eliminate your problem. this is what i did in my bathroom. also gives a really good level subfloor for tiling. (assuming good level joists of course).

be aware though, removing all floorboards in a room can cause the joists to warp, so you might want to add noggins as you go when removing the floorboards.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:06 pm