Bathroom Light Superceding Bedroom Light After Replacing Ceiling Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Russ3161
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Light Superceding Bedroom Light After Replacing Ceiling Light

Post by Russ3161 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi, hope someone can help. I replaced the ceiling light in my room but have evidently put the wires back in slightly the wrong order because now, turning on the bathroom light next door turns off the bedroom light! The only way to keep the bedroom light on is to have it right down low on the dimmer and then I can have both!

I'm hoping someone can look at the attached picture and tell me what wire(s) need swapping around?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Light Superceding Bedroom Light After Replacing Ceiling Light

Post by ericmark » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:56 am

Simple answer is no. It will be one of the blacks but you have two blacks and impossible to work out which without testing. If you get the wrong one it will be a direct short and will likely blow the dimmer switch.

There should have been a red sleeve on one of the black wires to show it was line not neutral and that has clearly fallen off.

My attempts in the past to show how to test got me thrown off this site for dangerous replies so sorry now not willing to give any guidance other than say call an electrician.

Russ3161
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Russ3161 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:39 am

Thank you for that, it gave me a solid starting point and indeed two black ones needed changing over. It's sorted now, I had been putting up with it like that for more time than I care to mention so cery happy that it's sorted now!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Russ1361

I agree with ericmark. the two blacks would need to be properly checked with test equipment ' to avoid short circuit damage to circuit and equipment.
It would be wise to get a registered electrician in to check connections.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:26 pm