Bathroom Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Treadstone71
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Light

by Treadstone71 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi,
Hope someone can help....

My bathroom light finally gave up the ghost the other day after the slow blow fuse melted into place. I haven't got the money to get an electrician in at the moment as they would probably take one look at the wiring in the house along with the ancient fusebox and end up billing me to do the whole gaff as it's 'not to current standard'. So nipped to B&Q and bought a cheap light thinking it couldn't be too hard to wire in.

I have two red wires, two black wires and two green and yellow wires coming from the ceiling. Now I know that the old red wires were the live, the black were the neutral and the yellow/green is the earth. All seemed simple enough, wired it in as per the leaflet enclosed (live to live, neutral to neutral with the earth insulated and isolated. Only trouble is the light stays on all the time.
Now, the leaflet enclosed with the light mentioned "live loop wires" and stated there were normally two of these and they should be insulated and isolated inside an addtional wire casing which was enclosed. Only having two of each wire I guessed that maybe mine only had one "live loop wire". So I alternated each wire into the additional casing with the other one wired in and vice versa - still no joy. Light stays on and the wife sitting on the sofa taking the mick out of my DIY skills (or obvious lack of them should I say).
Not being lucky enough to know anyone who is a sparky or with the remotest idea about wiring I am stuck with a dark bathroom when the sun goes down. Am sure there is a simple solution and I was hoping that someone in here might be able to lend a helping hand with some friendly advice.
Thanks in advance,
Alan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:10 pm

HI Treadstone71,
Wiring solution.
Your two reds should be connected together (in casing provided) and not terminated to the light. One is Live and the other is switch wire.
The two blacks one is neutral and should be connected to the neutral terminal on light at blue side of lamp flex and the other is return from swicth which will offer a live to light when switch is closed and should be tagged with brown (used to be red) sleeving and terminated at the live, brown side of lamp flex. all earths together and that should do the trick!
Remember to be safe and isolate circuit before any work is carried out and ifyour house wiring is sub-standard i'd consider a re-wire but get a sparky to look at it.
Regards
KB

Treadstone71
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Light

by Treadstone71 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, have just given that a go but it seems to just stay live. Really is baffling. Might just have to bite the bullet after all and get a sparks in!
Thanks for your time,
Alan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 am

Hi,
Did this light work before you decided to change it? because that is the standard format for end of loop connection. Is the swicth wired correctly? and has any other worked been done that could have effected this circuit?
Did you understand my explanation? look at projects on this websites under electrical lighting it may show some diagrams that are helpful!
Regards
KB

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:47 am

take a look at the projects section of this website - there is a page on how to do what you are talking about with diagrams..... its sometimes gets a bit confusing just typing!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 pm