Bathroom light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ancodia
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom light

by ancodia » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi,

Im hoping that someone can help - my bathroom light bulb isn't aluminating fully (it's been like it for about 6 months). I have tried to replace the bulb, so i know it's not that.

The light was fitted when the house was built and has been fine for 18months.

Image of this uploaded to my photobucket account;

[url]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn247/ancodia79/S7301253.jpg[/url]

Any ideas on what's wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom light

by sparx » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi,
Has the fitting been changed as it sounds like a wrong/loose connection, not much to go on!
Type of fitting/lamp ie standard or low energy, some clues would help.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:13 am

There are only two components the electronic ballast and the tube. So assuming the tube fitted was the correct 16W tube then the only other item it could be is the electronic ballast.

ancodia
Labourer
Labourer

by ancodia » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. not been able to log back on due to pc failure (not having a good month).

@Sparx - Nothing changed, just stopped working properly - imediatley thought this was the bulb, so i changed it, but got the same problem.

@ericmark - the tube worked for 2 years, so i am asuming that this was the correct tube (just checked and its a 16w tube). Am i right in asuming that replacing the ballast is quite straight forward??

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 am

I have found it hard to buy exact replacement ballast units in the past and so one has to fiddle around trying to make it fit. So likely better renewing whole lamp.

There are two basic types of lamp. Those with a induction ballast and those with a HF electronic ballast. The HF electronic ballast is in the main more expensive and far better as it ensures exactly the right amount of power is feed to the tube and the higher frequency also removes the stroboscopic effect. Normally with the electronic you get more light from same tube and the tubes last longer. Plus they use less power and can better cope with voltage variations.

Seems you have been unlucky with yours. The older induction ballast with over voltage uses more power than written on tube up to 20% more where 250 volt is feed to 230 volt fitting and where the voltage is low may fail to light completely as for example 220 volt feeding a 240 volt fitting.

So although in your case the electronic ballast seems to have failed I would still replace with another electronic type they are much better than the induction type.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:02 am

PS I had a google to look for your lamp "Super Slim Circular Ceiling/Wall Light 16W 2D" and it is sold for £20 plus vat, so is it really worth messing about getting spare parts? I put "2D D151" into google search. There is also a 28W version of same lamp D130 it is 65mm bigger 360mm diameter instead of 295mm diameter but same looking unit.

ancodia
Labourer
Labourer

by ancodia » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks ericmark, that's some good advice and i think your right at around £20 a replacement sounds the best option.

Thanks again.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 am