Bathroom Mirror with Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jhassall@dornbracht.co.uk
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Mirror with Lights

by jhassall@dornbracht.co.uk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:39 pm

I have purchased a german bathroom cabinet with lights. The lights are operated by a switch. My electrician says he cannot fit this cabinet in my bathroom unless it has a pull cord. Is this true? and where can i get the regualtions to state this.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 pm

BS7671:2008 has a chapter on special locations, this will tell you of the electrical requirements of bathrooms.
Switchs are generally a no no in bathrooms and lights should be operate either from outside the bathroom or using a pull cord. The book cost about £65-70.
Some electrical accessories are allowed within permitted areas known as zones and will need to be rated to the correct IP (ingress protection) to prevent water hazards. Your electrician is talking sense and safety.
KB

SparkyPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by SparkyPaul » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 am

It can be installed outside the zones in a bathroom as long as it is suitable for the environment
See section 701 of the IEE regs
Needs to be notified to your local building control for part p if you live in england or wales too but your electrician should look after that

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 am