Bathroom refurb. and Part P Regs.
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengiant57
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom refurb. and Part P Regs.

by greengiant57 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi all,
Hope you can help me with this one.
I've recently had a bathroom refurbishment carried out by a local contractor, who says I don't need a certificate for compliance with Part P of the Building Regs.

I think I do, but can't get him to agree, so I would welcome your views/advice etc.
The work involved, apart from the installation of the suite and tiling:
1. Installation of digital shower, with processor/pump mounted in loft. The electrical supply was taken from an unused immersion heater feed, through a fused spur unit, with correct fuse fitted.
2. The replacement of a single 240v light fitting with 3 IP65 LV MR16 fire rated showerlights and a Silavent spotvent shower fan light kit. The fan runs on 240v and the light is LV. The contractor modified the lighting circuit in the loft to install all of this.

So, my question is; should the contractor have supplied a certificate for compliance with Part P? If so, and he won't supply one, what's my best course of action?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:31 pm

greengiant57,
should the contractor have supplied a certificate for compliance with Part P? YES DEFINITELY.
If so, and he won't supply one, what's my best course of action? WITHHOLD PAYMENT
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:54 pm

hi, just read this a bit late
but for what it's worth, as all the work is outside the actual bathroom it's a moot point over LABC registration HOWEVER what is undenighable is that he has altered the circuit so as a very minimum he must issue you with a Minor Works Certificate,
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1