Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JamieTB
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Tiling - Advice on prep and tiling onto wood

Post by JamieTB » Sat May 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question and been covered before. I tried to search but couldn't find the answer.

I'm ready to start tiling our bathroom but one of the walls has a wooden frame I've put into it to hold up a heavy wall mounted sink and mirror cabinet. Can I tile straight over the wood? I wasn't sure as I know plastering over wood isn't good so not sure about tiling.

Also in terms of prepping this wall, should I fill the cracks around the edges of the frame first and smooth the wall over? If so what would I use?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've never done this before so any advice would be really great.

Thanks,
Jamie.

IMG_2106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Tiling - Advice on prep and tiling onto wood

Post by welsh brickie » Sun May 18, 2014 10:23 am

use dry wall screws and fix galvanized or stainless steel mesh to the wood,

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am

There are two options here.

It wouldn't be a problem tiling over the wood providing the tiles are large enough to bridge the wood. If you have a small border in the tiles there is a slim chance the different materials may cause problems in the form of grout cracking.

Why not stick a sheet of 9.5mm plasterboard over the whole area and tile on to that?

JamieTB
Labourer
Labourer

Post by JamieTB » Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Thank you both for your advice. There are some thin border tiles that are likely to run straight up where the wood is so I think I'll put a sheet of plasterboard up like suggested.

Thanks,
Jamie.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:45 pm