Bathroom Tiling advice required - widow tiling?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Bathroom Tiling advice required - widow tiling?

by prbaxter » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 am

Hello,

Our bathroom is quite tiny, the dimensions of which support a bath laid across the room (2m wide) under the window (1.7m wide central) and there's room for a sink next to the bath facing the side wall door opposite the window.

Now, because of the size of the window, we cannot have a shower enclosure, and we are struggling to get our heads around how to place a shower in the room (i.e. over the bath).

The problem is that the size of the window means that if we have a shower over the bath, then the window frame (and sill) is going to get soaked - unless we have one of those horrible plastic shower curtains.

The widow is a upvc double glazed widow - situated in the orignial wooden frame (and sill).

My only option, which I need some advice on - is.... to take out the interior wooden frames and sill (chisel out right up the the upvc frame) and then tile over the sill and around the inside of the window hole - right up to the upvc frame. This would make the whole thing water proof and hence no shower screen curtain required.

Now my questions are:

- will this look silly?
- and more importantly, if I take away the whole inner side of the wooden frames, will the upvc window fall out? Or it it likely to be more securely fastened to the brickwork?

Any advice or workarounds appreciated.
Bax.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:53 pm

cant you tile over the wood,if you place a tile on top of the wood allow 3mm for adhesive and it looks ok tile directly on to the wood you will need a flexiable adhesive and a good grout dont buy from a well known store go to a tile shop
bob

prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

by prbaxter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 am

thanks for that. I never thought of just tiling over the frame. I'd still need to remove the pertruding frame parts, but not the inner window.

Also pulled on the sill last night and it pretty much all came out in my hands, so that shouldnt be a big problem either.

And.... i've now discovered 140cm length baths, which now means i dont have to have and shower right next to the window, i can lay it perpendicular in the very tight 140cm space and have the shower on the opposite wall.

Many thanks
Bax

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:35 am