Bathroom Wall Light Fitted to Wall Mounted box and How to Remove and Replace?

Postby David Pears » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am

Hi,

We have bought a house from what appears to be a DIY'er who seems to have been a bit slap-dash.

In the bathroom the wall light, rather than being flush to the wall, the light is mounted on a box (See image attached). It looks like a junction box (I am not familiar with any terms here..). I have had a look inside and the wires are sticking out from the wall inside it?

I am looking to remove this and attempt to fit a light that attaches to the wall (not to the box which sits on top of the wall) - any idea's how I can achieve this?

Do i need to get someone in to sink the 'box' into the wall?

Thanks!

D
Attachments
light fitting 2sm.jpg
Light fitting 1sm.jpg
David Pears
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Without seeing what is behind the current light fitting it's hard to say.

If you turn the electricity off and take down the light and the box if you just have a cable you can (should be able to) connect your light to this
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
94.7%

Postby kbrownie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:05 pm

It is a standard wall light, the mounting box behind the body of the light belong to each other. Although someone has seemed to have wanted to paint it!!

As the fitting is metallic,very likely class I and should be earthed and proved the earth fault path exists. If this is recent install, then RCD protection should be in place.
kbrownie

Postby David Pears » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks - I'll get someone in to put a new light in.

Cheers!
David Pears
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!