Bathroom wall plastering advice needed
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PhilS
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom wall plastering advice needed

by PhilS » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 am

I've just gone round to see a bathroom in a 1930's house that has had all of its tiles hacked off the walls and is waiting to be plastered. 3 walls are to be re-tiled from top to bottom and 1 wall is to be plastered to a decent finish for painting.

One of the walls that is to be re-tiled is a timber and lathe sytle wall. In many areas of the wall the wooden lathe is exposed and in one place there is movement in the wall when you press/push the plaster.

Could anyone recommend the best method for the lathe wall? Which plaster type should be used here as its only going to have tiles covering it and what can i do about the movement?

Also, whats the best method for the wall that needs the decent finish? There are patches that have the brickwork exposed so I am guessing these need to be treated before skimming but I am not sure on which plaster to use.

All advise gratefully recieved,

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

PhilS,
If the lathe & plaster wall is not going to form one side of a shower, overboard the wall with plasterboard, if it is use something like an eternit board which will withstand the damp.
You do not say whether the masonry walls are lime plaster - this will affect how you repair them.
end

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm

I'd suggest that the lath and plaster walls are removed and re-boarded as the surface you are tiling to may not be able to carry weight of tiles as the walls have decayed. On the non tiled wall you need pva wall then apply browning on the brick surface before a finishing plaster.
KB

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 pm

i would certainly remove all the lath and plaster and replace with plasterboard. if it is loose and springy it may well be unable to take the weight of tiles.

you can then skim the board or even go straight on with the tiles. if it is to form a shower cubicle then consider using aqua panel.

pva and browning on brick walls, removing all loose existing plaster first. then skim.

spur
Labourer
Labourer

by spur » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 pm

To do the job properly you will have to knock down best part of the house and rebuild it. Or you could use aquapanel ?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 pm

See the DIY Projects section and look for repairing lath and plaster. Expanded Metal Lathing can be used easily but you may need to add a stud or noggin to the timbers to keep the spring out. This method is used in a lot of trust properties and listed buildings to maintain the integrity of the wall while at the same time giving it strength. We have even used it to re-cover an 11th century wattle and daub farmhouse in *******.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Spur, you've been watching to many American DIY programmes.[quote]To do the job properly you will have to knock down best part of the house and rebuild it.
KB[/quote]

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:18 pm