Bathroom waste
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sladey
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom waste

by Sladey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 pm

I've replaced a bathroom toliet and handbasin, both connected to a soil stack which was already in place. Changed none of the piping, just connected the tw items. Toilet water will not drain away, and seems to force air back up basin trap causing a leak there. Sounds like a vacuum problem. Would an antisyphon trap solve this? Thanks :(

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Sladey,
Assuming you have connected the WC correctly the most likely cause is a blocked drain.
end

Sladey
Labourer
Labourer

by Sladey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks stoneyboy. Actually, when I said I had just fitted these items, I meant a recently qualified plumber friend had, so I hope he fitted the WC correctly. Out of interest how could he have fitted it incorrectly to cause this?

Guess it's just bad timing, or maybe it's become more obvious as the new toilet cistern has less capacity and therefore less force to get through the blockage.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Sladey,
"Out of interest how could he have fitted it incorrectly to cause this?" If a bellows type adaptor has been used to connect the pan this could be folded. If an internal adaptor has been used to connect into the existing pipe this could be causing a restriction. If something has been pushed into the soil pipe to stop smells while the work is carried out this may still be in place.
end

Sladey
Labourer
Labourer

by Sladey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Problem solved! As you suggested blockage along the soil waste. Not caused by lack of pressure though. My mate had also fitted a new bath and the waste pipe had been pushed too deeply into the soil pipe effectively half blocking at. Add a little human waste and there's your blockage. Lesson learnt and bath waste pipe being shortened. Thank you!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:07 pm