Baxi Duo Tec 28 HE
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

18 posts
alanrudd
Labourer
Labourer

Baxi Duo Tec 28 HE

Post by alanrudd » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Can anyone help, i have a Baxi combi boiler, we are getting hot water through the tap, but when we turn the heating on, it clicks a couple of times and then displays a error code of E168 can any body help, or point me in the right direction.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Baxi Duo Tec 28 HE

Post by plumbbob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Error code E168 is displayed when the boiler has detected a problem but can't work out exactly what it is.

Now, that doesn't help much as it is too vague to be of use.

As the boiler provides hot water ok, then obviously we can cross off most of the possibilities. There isn't a lot left to go wrong, but it is guesswork to point a finger at anything specific. One thing, it may be a flow problem. If the system has been drained and refilled recently and the heating not run since it could be airlocked.

alanrudd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alanrudd » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Thank you plumbbob.

now what, if it is airlocked ? how do i un-airlock it, yes it has been off a while, but while the heating has been off we have always had hot water.

alanrudd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alanrudd » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Does the rads have to be bled to free the airlock, or is there some where on the combi system that you need to open, wife is starting to feel the cold, we had someone come out last year and try to fix it, obviously he didnt.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Bleeding the rads won't clear a blockage if this is what the problem is. Any airlock that would cause the boiler to shut down will be significant and it is difficult to explain what to look for or how to remove it. Anyway, an airlock should only happen if the system has been drained since last used.

A stuck diverter may also be the responsible culprit.

Has the boiler shown a different error code? Code E168 isn't actually the fault code for the problem, but the response to an earlier fault. It is an indication that the boiler was re-set, after an earlier problem.

Re-set the boiler then run the hot tap and let the boiler settle with hot water flowing. When you are convinced the boiler running happily, with the hot tap still on, switch on the heating whilst constantly watch the boiler display to see what it does.

Incidentally, what is the system pressure?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Not sure where Plumbbob is getting info from, if it was a blockage/circulation fault, then you would get E125 or E110 foe overheat/pump issue. E168 is PCB fault, can be other faults causing PCB to play up like fan not getting up to speed, but then you'd get E160 at times too, but 9 times out of 10 - E168 it is the PCB .

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:17 pm

The point is E168 is not an identifier of an problem but simply an indicator that the boiler has re-set after an earlier fault and that fault cannot be identified internally.

Alanrudd has stated that the boiler works fine during dhw production so many of the faults such as fan speed and so on can be discounted. Because the boiler combustion side is working, even a PCB fault although not impossible, begins to look less likely . What we shouldn't forget is the boiler would be showing a different error code at the beginning before ending up with E168, but of course we don't know what that was. It could have been E125. Logic suggests crossing off the simple possibilities first.

wshelley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wshelley » Sun May 12, 2013 7:51 am

Hi Alan, did you find out what the cause of this problem was? I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Hot water is fine, but when I turn the central heating on it cuts out. I get e168 too. I set up a webcam on the display to see if any error code preceded the e168 code and there wasn't any other codes. It just cuts out and goes straight to e168.

If I reset the boiler, hot water works fine again. Central heating may or may not cut out again as it seems to be an intermittent problem. The problem seems to be increasing in frequency now!

Cheers
Wayne

Samricka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Baxi Duo Tec 33 HE

Post by Samricka » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi I'm new on here so please be kind :-)
I'm having the same problem with my Baxi due tec 33HE combi it was running fine up till April but now the cold weather has kicked in I tried to put the heating back on it tries to switch on but the heating wont come on the rad light comes on and the fan kicks in but it seems like the ignition wont kick in, the hot water is fine when the hot water tap is turned on the flame light comes on but when I switch the heating on an error msg EI68 flashes. I was a bit lazy last year after draining the system (moving rads) I didn't re add the inhibitor so I'm wondering if any of the valves could have jammed with the rubbish?

wshelley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wshelley » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:49 pm

This solution may not fix your problem - use this information at own risk.

The pictures and information on the following google page might help
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 4018468176

Wayne.

Samricka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Samricka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you wshelley I will drain the whole system first in case there is gunge blocking any of the components if that fails I will have a look at the PCB Board and check the capacitors :-)

Samricka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Baxi Duo Tec 33 HE

Post by Samricka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 pm

A quick update I managed to drain the system and refilled it to try to get rid of any air blocks. I then fired it up and it managed to stay lit until I turned on the DHW tap that's when the heating side died on me and the dreaded E168 error msg started flashing again :-( I had a quick look at the PCB board and couldn't see any blown capacitors I was also thinking of changing various bits to rule each one out but the constant whinging from the other half has persuaded me to call out someone qualified :-) I will let you guys know the outcome.

redkirky
Labourer
Labourer

Post by redkirky » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Please can somebody help
I am also having problems with my baxi duo tec 28h ,the hot water is working fine but the heating will not ignite,but If I run the hot water tap and then turn the room stat up the heating will work.
Hoping someone can help
redkirky

james46R1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by james46R1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi there, just joined today hoping some one can help me out. Baxi Duo tec 28 heating side appears to be working ok but when hot water called for boiler shudders, temp gauge rises on boiler to about 80 deg then cuts out. good flow of water at tap but poor heat and then stone cold as boiler shuts down. boiler restarts and repeats as before. checked motorised valve head and pin seems to be moving in and out ok. Boiler is only 3 yrs old, any suggestions?

Samricka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Baxi duo tec 33HE

Post by Samricka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi guys as you can see by the dates I decided to insure my Baxi duo tec 33HE instead of calling an engineer out 9cost of £11.25 a month) in other words I managed to spread the cost of my repairs over the next 12 months :-) but the only downside to that was having to wait 28 days before I could call an engineer out. the Heateam engineer called today to fix my original problem as my previous post (above) he managed to solve the E168 error problem within minutes of arriving It turned out to be a faulty PCB board. looking at it the PCB board looks easy enough to replace but I noticed he did have to adjust the gas valve to suit the new PCB board so anyone other than an gas safe engineer thinking of replacing a PCB board themselves be aware of the Gas adjustment requirements (not sure why) and don't forget to turn the power supply off. good luck :-)

18 posts