Bay window cracking
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ttony
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bay window cracking

by ttony » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Had some bay windows fitted by a local company recommended to me but I have not really been happy with their work up to now. I pulled back some wallpaper they had flattened down with silicone and found half centimetre cracks where the bay meets the house beneath the window. Cannot check outside in the bricks are cracking as the walls are rendered. Im unhappy because you can feel a draught through them and they have obviously tried to conceal them.

Phoned them up and they are coming to have a look, Generally the finishing wasnt great but I thought I might be being picky. Do I need to worry, the bloke on the phone said some cracking was normal and I accept that, but these are big cracks? Just wondering if anyone has any advice

memento
Apprentice
Apprentice

by memento » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi ttony
you dont mention if this is an upstairs bay but by the sound of the problem id say it is.the first thing i would check is under the cill outside on the bottom bay(if this is a standard upstairs downstairs bay) that the baypoles have been cut through the cill to rest on solid brickwork/concrete.it is common practice to acro the bottombay to hold the top in place did they do this?anything more than hairline cracks points to a collapsing bay due to lack of support.
i shall keep an eye on this fread so feel free to ask any questions

ttony
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ttony » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi memento thanks, just checked back in case anyone had replied. You were indeed spot on the dudes who have done this have made a right mess of my bay and caused some other problems. Ive since had a structural report and I am currently on these guys case.
Tone

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:36 pm