Beam calculations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yanhuang
Labourer
Labourer

Beam calculations

by yanhuang » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 pm

I am preparing on my own for a full plans application for the building regulations approval of a granted rear extension plan, but stuck with the calculations of 2 steel beams required to support the opening between the existing lunge and its extension. Although I know the principles and equations for the calculations, I simply cannot find the basic data such as load from the brick wall above and permissble deflection, etc. Please advise.

Many thanks. Yan

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 pm

YANHUANG,

THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES TO ACCOUNT FOR AND INCLUDE IN THE CALCULATIONS FOR ANY STRUCTURAL SUPPORT SYSTEM IT WILL BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO AQUIRE THE SERVICES OF A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER AND INDEED MAY BE A REQUIREMENT TO COMPLY WITH BUILDING CONTROL AND ANY BUILDINGS INSURANCE THAT MAY BE TAKEN OUT ON THE PROPERTY IN FUTURE MAY HAVE GET OUT CLAUSES IN THE EVENT OF FAILURE IN STRUCTURE WHETHER DOWN TO THIS OR ANY OTHER SELF DESIGN/BUILD REASON.

BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

FIRSTLY SEEK INFORMATION AND ADVICE FROM YOUR LOCAL BUILDING CONTROL INSPECTOR/OFFICER.

THEY WILL POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AS IT IS IN BOTH YOUR BEST INTERESTS TO FIND A WORKABLE SOLUTION TO COMPLY.

THERE ARE TIMES WHEN YOU MAY THINK B.C.O. IS YOUR WORST ENEMY BUT ULTIMATELY THEY ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND WHERE SELF BUILD MATTERS ARE CONCERNED.

REGARDS,

ALDA.

Fishie42
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Fishie42 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:13 pm

It would be best to contact a strutural engineer.

Building control will be much happier and more likely to sign the building off for you.

If its only 2 beams and there is nothing complicated I can't see it costing you more than say £250.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1