Becoming an Electrician
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
perfectpc
Labourer
Labourer

Becoming an Electrician

Post by perfectpc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:55 pm

HI All

I have been looking in to changing my career from IT to becoming an electrician. I have look at numerous courses on the web and am a bit confused as the colleges seem to give little information away.

If I take a course 2382-10, 2392 & part p, would I be able to start working for myself and issue part p certificates. The colleges say you can but the way I read it is that I would have to work for someone, so I can get jobs inspected by a body to become part p.

To be honest it's all quite confusing and I don't want to waste thousands of pound and some thing that's not correct.

Can anyone in the know give me some pointer.

Many thanks

Glenn

PaulWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PaulWhite » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 am

I don't have an exact answer but could you try and speak to several course providers such as MET-UK and see if you can get an answer. You don't actually have to train with them, they have to give out information when you call speculatively.

PaulWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PaulWhite » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am

Fraid I don't have any info but you could call various course providers such as MET-UK and see what they say. You don't have to take their course but you could get info by calling speculatively.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 pm

The C&G 2382 says you can read a book. And really it means nothing. The C&G 2391 is a hands on course and exam and it does go a long way to show you can work safely and there is a high failure rate even with time served electricians. The C&G 2392 is a cut down version of C&G 2391 and is taken by those who can't pass the C&G 2391 as to how much cut down I don't know.

There is no need for any qualifications to become an electrician however you do need to show you know what you are doing and qualifications is one method. Indentures is another as is a string of satisfied employers.

There is nothing to stop you undertaking to do electrical work with nothing but you would need to have every notifiable job checked by the council (LABC) and you may have a problem getting insurance.

Most domestic electricians become a member of a scheme so they can self certify and what you need to do is talk to the scheme providers to find what they will accept to become a member.

What you need to consider is if you can use the knowledge you have already and I would look at PLC's and SCADA and see if your skills will allow you to better move in that direction.

House bashing when the country was pushing for more and more houses was good pay and hard work and in the main repetitive. But as the new house boom crashed all the guys building new houses moved sidewards into the refurbish and repair and you will be competing against many guys who have been doing the job for years. The only way to get work is to do it very cheap and although you may kid yourself that you are doing well if you include travel, paperwork, insurance, tools and interest on money invested in the change then unlikely it will be worth our while.

So look at PLC and SCADA and see if your skills at VB could not be put to use!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:04 pm