Bedroom Powerbreaker 13A RCD FCU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
avagojoe
Labourer
Labourer

Bedroom Powerbreaker 13A RCD FCU

by avagojoe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:15 pm

I want to add about 4 extra sockets in a daisy chain from a 13A FCU in a bedroom. There are no sinks or showers etc. in the bedroom. Is there any point in putting in a 13A RCD FCU and then running the additional sockets from this, or would this be considered unnecessary and a bodged job? One of the sockets might be used to light a fish tank. Ta.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 pm

If the socket you are taking the feed from is not already a spur, you can indeed install a 13amp FCU and extend a circuit to protect any number of plugs there after, be carefull not to overload the extened circuit remember you only have 13amps.
Myself I would consider extending the whole circuit, so if it was a ring final circuit I would extend the ring, very little extra work involved.
As for RCD protection, if the circuit is already RCD protected at the CU there is no need, if not, it is now a requirement to do so.
So any new work carried out will more than likely need a RCD protection.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 pm

All sockets and any cable buried less than 50mm in a wall with a few special exceptions should since 2008 be protected by a 30ma RCD.

It is accepted that existing items may remain as required on previous edition of BS7671 but all new installation should comply.

So if there is no RCD in the consumer unit then yes a RCD FCU is required.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi, putting in a FCU would be way of running more sockets, it beats a multi way lead, anyway!
Using a RCD/FCU does give extra protection and can only be better that not having one.
regards Sparx

avagojoe
Labourer
Labourer

bedroom RCD FCU

by avagojoe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone. First time user of the forum. Delighted with the response. I will use a RCD FCU. :D

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:24 pm