Bees in chimney - go through chimney wall in attic?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Do I attempt to dismantle the wall or get a cherrypicker to work form the top of the stack?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 am
cherrypicker
100%
attic wall
No votes

Total votes: 1
CaroleT
Labourer
Labourer

Bees in chimney - go through chimney wall in attic?

by CaroleT » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am

I live in a 30s semi-detached with 4 original flues - 2 downstairs and 2 in the upstairs bedroom - that culminate into one chimney stack with two flues. Somewhere in the top 4 meters of the chimney, we have a BIG bees' nest. The roof is tiled, pitched and at least 2 meters above the roof line. A number of experts, from conservationists to exterminators, have looked and failed to figure out how to remove the nest. With 500 bees having come into the sitting at one time, I am getting desperate to get rid of the bees and the honeycomb. I am no expert on building or bees, but wanted to run this idea past you and get your thoughts:

1. I know they are in the top 4 meters because i used drain clearing rods and a webcam from the fireplace to look up the first 8 meters - couldn't get further due to the angle.
2. So, one plan is to go into the attic, and drill a few holes to insert calming agent/poison (whatever experts dictate) to lower risk of getting stung.
3. Then, get a builder to safely remove bricks to open a window where we can get at the hive and honeycomb and scrape it out of the chimney.
4. Once cleared, fill in the hole appropriately.

Would be really interested in whether any of you think this is possible and how much such a project might cost? My other option is to get a cherry picker and work from the top of the chimney, but this is likely to cost at least 500-700 quid and access will be limited. Thank you all!

PS I ought to say that we in no way want to kill the bees, but at the moment, involved bee keepers and bee associations do not see any possible way of removing them unharmed. Numerous approaches in working from the mouth of the fireplaces have been undertaken to no avail.

Mr.Punch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mr.Punch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:26 am

Carole

Pity you didn't get help with your dilema!

My father is a bee-keeper, hence my interest - did you solve the problem?

dennis graham
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dennis graham » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:01 am

have you considered setting up a fire in one of your chimneys? lots of smoke? just a though,

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:32 am