Best Fixings for Securing Heavy Bookcase to Plasterboard Wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
claralou
Labourer
Labourer

Best Fixings for Securing Heavy Bookcase to Plasterboard Wall

by claralou » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner to DIY so I'm hoping some of you more experienced members can help me with what is probably a really basic task!

I've got a very heavy bureau/shelf unit which needs to be anchored to the wall as we also have an inquisitive toddler... The unit is approx 2m tall and 0.9m wide, it weighs approx 51kg.

There are pre-drilled holes and plastic spacers provided for wall anchoring in the corners of the unit (spacers to fill the gap between wall and unit due to skirting board) but no fixings. The house is 12yrs old so I assume the interior of the wall is plasterboard. Having looked at the plasterboard fixings guide on here, I presume redidrive fixings will be most suitable for this, is that right?

Should I also drill another hole to anchor the unit to a stud in the wall to provide more strength? If so, what fixing should I use for that?

Many thanks for your help.

thedoctor

Re: Best Fixings for Securing Heavy Bookcase to Plasterboard Wall

by thedoctor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi

Yes, Redidrive would certainly help but due to the size and weight of the object, I would suggest fixing with at least 2 Redidrive fixings, 4 if possible e.g. 2 left, 2 right and also 2 fixings into a stud in the wall.

Redid rives are good and provide a strong fixing, but at the end of the day the strongest fixing will be into an actual stud in the wall.

Hope this helps

claralou
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Best Fixings for Securing Heavy Bookcase to Plasterboard Wall

by claralou » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks thedoctor!

I've got the bits I need so will give it a try when I've found someone to occupy the kids... Fingers crossed!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm