Best timber preservative for workshop, sawn & planed tim
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
u2fan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best timber preservative for workshop, sawn & planed tim

Post by u2fan » Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 am

Hi We are building from scratch a quality shed/workshop to be clad in sawn pressure treated softwood but some parts will be planed eg, the door and window beading.

We would like to use the best quality timber preservative (dark colour)against water and insect infestation. There will be no plants growing in the vicinity apart from an apple tree that is close but will not touch the workshop. It is quite close to the house.

Can anyone recommend the best presevative to use please? Is creosote substitute better than any normal preservative? I am worried that it may not soak into the planed timber and that the odour will not clear very quickly.

Is there a proprietory top quality long-lasting preservative that will soak into planed timber?

Any advice much appreciated.

Shepherdmarley
Labourer
Labourer

wood preservative

Post by Shepherdmarley » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 am

I no longer use varnish or paint for outside wood as wood needs to breathe and moves with atmospheric changes. I now use a half half mix of linseed oil and turpentine (preferably real terps which is tree sap but oil based turps can also be used). This is applied by brush or spray to all exterior wood once a year, it is quick, easy, non toxic, enriches and protects the wood and brings out the grain. Plus you can slap it on and not worry if it gets on the ground or other surfaces as it wipes off and biodegrades. All good news!!

u2fan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by u2fan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks a lot for your reply. Sounds like a very good idea.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:18 pm