Best Type of Corded or Cordless Drill to Buy to Replace DIY Drill?
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dagswe21
Labourer
Labourer

Best Type of Corded or Cordless Drill to Buy to Replace DIY Drill?

Post by Dagswe21 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi there. This is a very, very, in fact - embarrassingly - basic question, as my first post. I think I may even know the answer, but I thought I would use it as my first post, to make sure!!

I am looking at replacing my DIY DRILL for something a bit more serious than the 'toy' I have had since I was about 14. My Q: should I go electric (cordless), or mains (corded)? Now obviously, the cordless gives me the huge advantage of being able to go anywhere (even down the garden to the shed, or use on the BBQ, car, etc etc...). But being essentially battery powered, it will inherently have less power / torque / 'turning force'. What do people think? Is the trade-off worth it, or do modern day cordless drills breeze thru wood posts, etc, with the same ease? I also hope to use the drill for other jobs, such as, attaching a circular wire brush to clean small areas of dirty or rusty metal, as prep for painting. Again, with the "battery powered" one being less powerful than the corded drill, will I lose out much on the difference? Will these jobs be noticeably harder or take a deal longer than when using the mains-powered device? All thoughts on this extremely basic question are hugely welcome!! THANK YOU!!

thedoctor

Re: Best Type of Corded or Cordless Drill to Buy to Replace DIY Drill?

Post by thedoctor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 am

Hi

It really depends on what you are going to be doing with the drill to be honest. If you are going to be drilling large holes in tough masonry, engineering bricks, concrete etc…. then the best route would be a powerful corded SDS (900 - 1500 watt) but as you say, if you are going to be using it for general DIY jobs then I think the cordless will probably be the best route to go down as this will give you the flexibility to move about free of cables.

Many of today’s cordless, battery drills can be as powerful as general use corded drills (at least 18V), but at the end of the day, you will get what you pay for. Cheaper drills will not have the power and longevity of their more expensive branded counterparts, so if you do opt for a cordless then get the best possible drill you can afford.

Hope this helps

cynthful
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Best Type of Corded or Cordless Drill to Buy to Replace DIY Drill?

Post by cynthful » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:15 am

If you only want to drill holes every now and then, and you need one for walls and small jobs, you should get something like this (it's affordable, compact and somewhat powerful)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PSB-10-8- ... nden057-21

However, if you are planning something around the house and you need a little more power, think about something like this Makita kit.

http://www.gasweld.com.au/makita-dlx2055t-combo-kit

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:55 pm