Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ant1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Better Toilet Flusher - Issue With Push Button Flush

by ant1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello all,

I've had a lot of trouble with the three toilet flushers - the modern buttons-in-top type - in this six year old house.

Now in trying to sort the latest problem I've found that the doughnut was the wrong size, and not well fitted either; the clips securing the "syphon" (does it have a proper name, the flush valve?) are damaged.

I need to replace it obviously, please could anyone recommend a good make and where to get it? The ones I've seen so far seem to be pretty-well anonymous...

Thankyou for your thoughts -
Regards Ant

thedoctor

Re: Better Toilet Flusher - Issue With Push Button Flush

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

As you already know there are many types! The best thing to do would be to remove the existing valve and take it down to a plumbers merchants (not a DIY shed or store). Ask the guys in there for the best replacement they can recommend. We cant really do it from here as there a few variables and it would be wrong to recommend something which may not suit.

Plumbers merchants are usually great at helping out as every satisfied customer comes back at some point!

Please do let us know how you get on as your eventual solution may help others in your boat.

ant1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Better Toilet Flusher - Issue With Push Button Flush

by ant1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:56 am

Helloee,

I did just that, thankyou. I bought a complete kit and started from scratch; it was as anonymous as the previous fittings, had no adjustment instructions but at least I could choose what I needed but the rest was discarded, very wasteful.

I know now, following experiments, that the various sliders on the body do different things on different fittings; that it's easier for a bodger to install the doughnut he has to hand (left over from a kit?) than to fit the correct one; also that in my limited experience of three toilets in my house, three more in my daughter's new house and one or two others that the things get installed by speed merchants who don't know how - or bother - to set them up!

On the face of it this isn't a very useful post but it is, really - it exposes the extent to which shoddy work is not discovered until it's too late for any complaint! I've come across similar problems with electrical work, not least in this new house. Realistically the average quality-of-work is barely adequate because most people no longer have the ability to know otherwise. Sad, eh!

Thankyou - regards, Ant

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 pm