Big Problems With Concrete Posts After Cowboy Job
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snuggly61
Labourer
Labourer

Big Problems With Concrete Posts After Cowboy Job

by snuggly61 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 pm

hi i'm new here. not once but twice i've been caught out by cowboy fence firms.
i have a 140ft garden and its about 50ft across the back. i wanted concrete posts and gravel boards with slot in feather board panels. the first cowboy said i wanted 8ft posts now i must add here i have a nasty neighbour and within 30 minutes of the fence men leaving after the first ten panels went up he lent and pushed on all ten panels sending them out of alignment as i was inside most of the time with a chest infection neither i or these fence guys noticed ,long story but when i checked my cctv i saw him doing it. but by then the fence along my boundary was up. then they did the back fence within two days two posts was leaning right over ,fence guy blamed the neighbour but my neighbour could not gain access to my back fence.
he refused to come back and fix my fence because of the hassell he got from my neighbour. so each fence firm i rang none of them wanted the job only one firm would fix it. so i'm told every post would have to come up the postcrete took off,fresh holes dug as you cant put them back in the same hole etc £1000 he charged.
then along comes storm doris i live rural so the fence yet again went out of alignment some posts i can move and see the postcrete moving.
so i found a good fencing firm ,now heres the problem the first cowboy used 8ft posts now with the kick board thats 6ft 6 so they only left one and a half foot in the ground so thats why the posts have moved in the wind. the second cowboy did not point this out to me .
so basically this chap who came out today tells me nothing can be done but replace the 8ft posts with 9ft posts and he charges £40 per post just for the balast and cement etc as each hole needs digging 3ft . now add onto that the price of a 9ft concrete post also i dont know yet if this includes labour but i think there are over 30 posts ,he hasnt given me a price yet but i think it will be around £3.000 . as you can probably understand with the two cowboys that was altogether nearly £3.000 so to be paying that amount out again is a bit too much money.
so with all you d.i.y. experts out there has anyone got any other ideas to make these posts stay put . contacting the first cowboy who put the 8ft posts in is really not a option although its his fault. i did think of asking this chap who came today couldnt he just remove the kickboards then sink the posts deeper in the ground ok not ideal as the panels will be in contact with the ground but he will still be charging £40 each post for the ballast and cement etc so thats over £1,300 and like i said he didnt say if that included labour.
so any ideas please

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Big Problems With Concrete Posts After Cowboy Job

by welsh brickie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 pm

the problem is you will have to remove the old concrete around the posts . and the posts will be covered in concrete, and it will be difficult to remove without damaging them. So labour costs are high.
I would suggest using wire barrier fence, this will allow wind to pass through, and cheaper and easier to install. Then you can plant fast climber plants that will give you a natural barrier from your neighbours

leveller
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Big Problems With Concrete Posts After Cowboy Job

by leveller » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:27 pm

hello, had similar problem with wooden posts waving aboout in winds . I braced them with triangular brace of 2ft angle iron at 45 degrees fastened to post and to 2ft angle iron driven into soil. you will need to use heavy gauge galvanised wire to fasten to concrete post as impossible to drill. Same principle used on Brunels bridges! phil

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 pm