Black mould along skirting board
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kathym
Labourer
Labourer

Black mould along skirting board

by kathym » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:45 am

Hi - am having a problem with black mould growing along wall/skirting in living room...have an end terrace house and this is happening on the outside wall. Had new heating installed in the Summer last year and consequently had a radiator moved from the offending wall to a wall adjacent and internal to the house....suspect this may be a contributory factor ?? Also have recently removed old skirting and replaced with new ?? I think we may have possibly disturbed things ?? I am concerned about mould as we have a young baby in the house so am anxious to remove all traces....can anyone suggest what we should do...thanks!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 pm

AS YOU SAY THIS IS ON AN OUTSIDE WALL, I WOULD GUESS THAT IT IS COLD TO THE TOUCH AND THEREFORE IT IS LIKELY THAT THE MOULD IS DUE TO CONDENSATION AND NOT DAMP FROM OUTSIDE.

AS YOU RIGHTLY SAID THE REPOSITIONING OF THE RADIATOR HAS HIGHLIGHTED THE PROBLEM.

TO DIAGNOSE: -

FIRST DRY OFF WALL AS BEST YOU CAN WITH A CLOTH.

FIX A PIECE OF ALUMINIUM FOIL TIGHT OVER THE AREA CONCERNED WITH MASKING TAPE ALL THE WAY AROUND TO SEAL.

LEAVE OVERNITGHT.

INSPECT IN THE MORNING.

IF FOIL IS WET ON OUTSIDE IT IS CONDENSATION PROBLEM.

IF IT IS WET ON SIDE AGAINST WALL IT IS A DAMP PROBLEM.

LET ME KNOW OF THE OUTCOME IF YOU REQUIRE FURTHER HELP/ADVICE.

ALDA

matchmade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by matchmade » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:40 pm

The old radiator location was drying off the condensation. Check outside to see if you've got an elevated earth level above the damp-proof course or a leaking gutter running water down the outside.

It won't be "rising damp" - there's no such thing. It's either a fault on the outside of the building or condensation internally on a cold wall.

If condensation, add internal polysterene insulation to the wall when you redecorate, or get yourself a dehumidifier. The latter is quickest and easiest, and you'll be amzed at how much water it picks up.

Also change your behaviour: don't dry clothes on radiators - the moisture just goes back into the air and then settles on your walls - dry outside or use a tumble drier.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:21 am