Bleeding Radiators Required Due To High Boiler Pressure?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rootsrat
Labourer
Labourer

Bleeding Radiators Required Due To High Boiler Pressure?

Post by rootsrat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi all. First of all - I am a total newbie when it comes to DIY and I have never did much of it, so apologies for any silly questions.

Me and my girlfriend have recently moved into a 2 bed house with CH. We've previously lived in a flat which had electric heating, and so I don't really know anything about CH.

I did some research on web though...

The pressure in our boiler is really high, it oscillates between 2.5 and 3, where 3 is the max the boiler can handle - according to the dial.

Apparently the most common cause of that is air in the CH system. The remedy is to bleed the radiators, which I intend to do as soon as my radiator key arrives (yes, I didn't have one!).

I switched the radiators on tonight to check which ones need bleeding - and the internet teaches us ( icon_wink.gif ) that it's the ones that are not fully heated at the top parts...

Unfortunately mine were cold at the bottom parts (all of them), and I had to switch the heating off as the pressure was getting to 3.5, which was already at the red mark on the pressure dial.

So my question is - what should I do? Do I bleed them all? Will this cause massive pressure drop and a need to re-pressurise the boiler? I need some guidance and advice, as the nights are getting cold and we really need to start heating the house...

Thanks in advance for any kind advice and help!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Bleeding Radiators Required Due To High Boiler Pressure?

Post by proptech » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi
You are quite right, the pressure is too high. I would suspect that there could be a problem with the filling loop, or filling device on the boiler, or even has been left turned on.
I assume this is a gas boiler, so please get a Gas Safe registered engineer out to check it over, and make sure all is safe.

rootsrat
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bleeding Radiators Required Due To High Boiler Pressure?

Post by rootsrat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 am

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. I have already arranged for an engineer to come over, but I'm not sure if they are Gas Safe registered engineer. I will certainly find out!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:22 am