Blinds too heavy for plasterboard

Postby Platti » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Need to refit a blind to the top of a window. The overhand it was on is plasterboard with no brick near enough to secure to. Its not too heavy but takes a fair bit of strain when pulling on the string to open/close and as such has pulled some of the original screws out.

I want to re-secure it and it needs to be in the same place but I'm worried that using some type of wall plug with eventually make a large area be pulled down.

Any other options than the plug or should I just go and try that and then stick up another question later about building the plasterboard up again.

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 am

you can buy stardrive screws that screw directly into brick you only need to drill with a 6.5mm masonry bit and screw it in.
welsh brickie

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Postby januspilot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:46 am

It sounds as if your walls are dry lined. If so you could use a new product called Drylinepro which could be used in the existing holes.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!