block paving my drive
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
speedwell
Labourer
Labourer

block paving my drive

Post by speedwell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:11 pm

My drive is 30 feet long and slopes to the door with a drop of 4 feet. (steep)
Current surface is 3x2 paving but these have become broken over the years.
The rain collects at the base of the drive but seems to manage to seep away before flooding my garage. There is a water gulley near but the water seems to pool away from it.
Builders have quoted for the 57square metre job and all have said 3" hardcore, 3" concrete, 2" screed and then the concrete blockpaving.
WHERE does all the water go if they put a concrete base in the drive. From my perception, it will run under the blocks, soak the sand but can't go any further.

I read the make -up should be: 150mm of MOT type1 sub-base, whacked and then sand and blocks but builders are leading me away from this saying it will sink or rut, best put concrete in to be safe!.

My paving hasn't sunk over 25 years!

I don't want to flood my garage, and there is a storm gulley at the bottom of the drive. Should I be putting a concret layer in or beef the sub-base up with good compact dolomite.

please help!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: block paving my drive

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 pm

you need a drainage system against your house/garage to be installed.ACO drainage system is ideal for this.For the driveway,yes 150mm hardcore is compacted but depending on the condition of the ground, it could be less.Unsure why they need to concrete? usually 50mm compacted screed then then paviors.
Try www.marshalls.co.uk for a list of local proffesional installers they will help and lots of info on the website.

speedwell
Labourer
Labourer

Post by speedwell » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 am

thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I will install a garage strip drain along the front of the double garage as per Marshalls website.
I agree with you, I don't know why every one is so keen to put a concrete layer in.

The ground is heavy clay so I'll stick with 150mm of hardcore. I plan to whack this with a really heavy plate. What depth of loose hardcore do I need to get 150mm finished height. Infact how much will I need to finish 150mm thick over 57 metres.

Also a drian query, I have neighbours fresh and foul passing under my drive at a depth of about 2 feet, The pipes are 1985 and may not be plastic. Will the whacker cause any damage or should I quickly pass over them.

thanks
speedwell.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm

you need about 8 ton of hardcore,and 3.5 ton of sand for the paviors.Normal sized paviors are 50 per sqm.with regards to the drains I cant really say,normally they are encased in 6mm pea gravel,if not just be carefull.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:13 pm