Blocked flue problem
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
solent
Labourer
Labourer

Blocked flue problem

by solent » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I have a gas warm air/water heating system. Last week I got the gas man in to service it and he reported a blocked flue and disconnected the equipment. Despite me phoning to chase him I can't get him to return my calls to say what to do about it.

I'm considering calling in a chimney sweep and then get another gas man to reconnect and retest.

But, I assume the burners (already disconnected) and heat exchangers will need to be removed before the sweep can get to work to prevent them being blocked with the sweeping. Is this something I can expect teh sweep to do, or would I have to do it/get it done first?

Also, the water heating uses a gravity fed system. Two pipes from the heat exchanger below to the tank above, but I can't see any connections for refilling (or indeed, venting). Is this possible? or must there be something hidden under the floorboards in the bathroom (the only part of the system I can't access)? If not, I have no idea how I would set about refilling it. (BTW the house was built in 1984).

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 pm

gas boiler flues do not normally become blocked unless, the cowl has come off and birds etc have been able to access the flue.

The flues normally collapse or corrode. Did he check the whole flue ? in the loft etc ?

if not you need to get someone to examine the flue and advise on what has to be done. It's more than likely the flue will have to be renewed, and for the type of system and the cost of renewing the flue people normally opt for a new boiler.

solent
Labourer
Labourer

by solent » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:20 pm

He looked in the loft - the only place where the flue is exposed. He didn't make any comment about the state of the flue, other than saying that he thought the best way forward was to break into the flue in the loft to clean it out.

When you say a new boiler would than mean converting to a water/radiator system, or a new wamr air boiler plus new flue?

If a new flue was needed it would mean ripping down walls which would presumably mean a builder would be required too?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:08 pm

It all depends on the age of the warm air unit.
Is it worth spending money on a new flue ?
is the boiler likely to breakdown, or do you know of other problems with the boiler ?

Would it be more beneficial to fit a wet system ? instant hot water, cheaper gas and electric bills.

I would suggest to get a corgi registered engineer to take a look at the boiler and see if he can find the problem. Did it fail the spillage tests or the flue flow test ? if it was the spillage test then a new flue terminal and more ventilation may solve the problem.

Without seeing the boiler and flue etc myself its hard to advise on what to do. Its expensive to fit a whole new system, but also expensive for new flues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:31 am