Blocking a doorway up
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Skinner.Daddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Blocking a doorway up

by Skinner.Daddy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi,

I want to blank a door off and have it as a flat wall in my living room.

It's a brick wall so from that I'd guess it support some of the weight of upstairs. Can I just plaster board the door up once I've taken the frame out or do I need to have some sort of support in place?

Many Thanks

Jon

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Briggy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi, if the wall is load bearing it will already have support in the form of a lintel, the weight of the wall won't be resting on the door liner, stud work or block work will be fine! Regards!

Skinner.Daddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Skinner.Daddy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Sorry to be a bit dumb, but to make sure.

I can take the door frame and all the wood from the door surround our and replace with plaster board on each side, thus basically leaving a hollow wall?

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Briggy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:13 pm

Hello, basically yes, take out door and door liner (this is the frame which is flush with the plaster) if your preference is stud work then you need to buy the thickness of timber required i.e. allowing for plaster board thickness etc... usually four by two , i would use 12.5 mm plasterboard, then build your frame, sole plate , head plate, then studs, one on each side then a central stud, couple of noggins in centre, insulation for sound proof, then tack on your plasterboard, i'd recommend screwing on , you can buy drywall screws at any builders merchants. you're now ready to finish, if you can't plaster i would suggest having a go at taping and jointing, then skirtings and your done! Hope this helps!

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Briggy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Hello again, just thought i'd add , if your house is really old , just double check there is a suitable lintel! But as i said before there will already be support , or the door would pinch so tight you would never be able to open/close it! Hope this helps.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:31 am