Blocking up a vent in the wall
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kai_63
Labourer
Labourer

Blocking up a vent in the wall

by Kai_63 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Forgive me, I’m a first time house owner so not sure how to go about these types of things!

We live in a Victorian house and the upstairs bedroom has had a vent fitted in the wall leading directly outside. Our newly fitted windows have individual vents in them anyway and the old vent is making the room really cold (we have central heating, no gas fire etc). Can someone advise the best way to get this bricked up/cemented over? If so, we are planning to get a tiler into redo our bathroom, do you think some tillers would be able to do this kind of work for us or would we need to get a building firm in? It’s nothing we can do ourselves (I don’t think) so I am trying to work out the best/cost effective way of doing it.

Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Blocking up a vent in the wall

by Perry525 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Remove the vent on the inside, place a piece of cardboard in front of the outside grill, then fill the space with a can of foam. The foam needs to be at least two inches thick. Thickness is important as a thin covering will result in condensation in cold weather.
Note: From 2016 all new homes will be built as air tight as possible.
Trickle vents can cost you a lot of money when its windy.
A better idea is cover them/block them and open a window for ventilation as and when required.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1