Blown bulb....broken switch?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrs Ninja
Labourer
Labourer

Blown bulb....broken switch?

by Mrs Ninja » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 pm

We have an energy saving lightbulb in our lounge light and last night after being on for an hour or two, it flickered and went out. I'm assuming that this is the way that these bulbs expire but I've never had it happen to me before so wouldn't know! Anyhoo, I just put another bulb in the light and switched it on but there was a small popping sound from the switch (which is a plastic dimmer switch) and the light didn't come on. It didn't trip the other electrics but I'm now worried about toucjing both the light and the switch. Any advice?

Mal
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:31 pm

There should be no risk from touching either the light or the switch. Energy saving bulbs are not usually good with dimmer switches and I'm guessing that the dimmer has broken. Try a new standard bulb and turn the light on and off. If that doesn't work the switch will need replacing, use a simple on/off switch for energy saving bulbs.

Mrs Ninja
Labourer
Labourer

V grateful

by Mrs Ninja » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Great will try that, thanks :)

Malcolm Brown
Labourer
Labourer

by Malcolm Brown » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:02 pm

my wall lights blew, fuse is ok switch is ok fittings are ok.There is power at switch and power at light fitting,cannot seem to find problem.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:57 pm