boarding a loft and water vapour
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Peter J L
Labourer
Labourer

boarding a loft and water vapour

Post by Peter J L » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Am I being over-zealous or simply paranoid?
I intend to have my loft boarded out entirely. The roof is well ventilated, and will stay that way. There is fibre insulation to the depth of the ceiling joists and the boarding would lay direct on the joists. This is a 100mm depth (they are short spans and there will be only very light storage). What precautions should be taken to avoid trapping water-vapour beneath the boarding? It is intended to use moisure-resistant chipboard.
Should I vapour-check the ceilings of the rooms beneath - in which case is there a vapour-check paint that can be overpainted with emulsion? Or should I ensure gaps between the boards? Or am I over-reacting?
Your views would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

flooring

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm

lay more insulation so that it compresses when you lay the floor on top
no gaps no moisture.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Water vapour can move through plasterboard and open cell insulation like fibreglass unhindered. It will also pass through the gaps between the floor boards.
Laytex or gloss paint will stop it. Years ago it was common to paint kitchens and bathrooms with gloss paint for that reason.
Ceiling joists are in tension and are much stronger than you imagine.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:37 am