Boarding a loft on top of insulation and 3x1.5" joists!
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iain_cbr
Labourer
Labourer

Boarding a loft on top of insulation and 3x1.5" joists!

by iain_cbr » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Help!!!

I went out like good little boy the other day to take advantage of the B&Q 3 rolls for £3 deal they had on the loft insulation. i planned to extend the joist height to allow me to board on top of the insulation to store cases etc.

The problem is: I live in an 1890's mid terrace, and the joists are not 4x2", but 3x1.5". I've been told by the local timber merchant that these joists are too puny to withstand the extra weight and i'd need to fit vertical supports from the A frame timbers.

Is this true?

If it is, what's the easiest way of achieving my goal?

I'm half decent with a saw and drill, but not too hot on the jargon, so please keep your replies in laymans terms!!!

cheers,

Iain.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm

iain_cbr,
Your TM is right and being mid terrace you will be limited on internal walls for extra support. In all probability you ceilings are lathe and plaster so fitting extra joists between the existing is not an option.
Do you have any larger beams running sideway in the loft? - from party wall to party wall?
end

iain_cbr
Labourer
Labourer

by iain_cbr » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:34 pm

I've had a better look around and a think about it. I only plan on boarding out the centre section of the loft space. directly under the centre of this area are the two walls either side of the stairwell. these run at 90 degrees to the joists, and so should provide some support, or at lease i hope so!

My plan now is to lay new joists on top of the old ones (piloted and screwed) to boost the joist height to the required level to board over the lagging. the two stairwell walls will take the weight.

does that sound feasible?!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:55 pm

iain_cbr,
You can only try a few new joists and see what happens, the chances are that the existing ceiling joists have sagged and that the ceilings are lathe and plaster. Perhaps only fix the new beams at the ends.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:06 pm