Boiler in the Bedroom
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mrstinchcombe
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler in the Bedroom

by mrstinchcombe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 am

I have a 1960s mid terrace and back boiler thats almost as old as me on its last legs, so I have had a quote to upgrade to a combi.

The quote seems fine at £2500 including VAT but I have been told the only place this combi can go in my property is in the spare bedroom.

I don't use this bedroom at the mo but hope to get a lodger in there but my questions are whether anyone has any experience of a boiler in the bedroom. Has anyone had any problems (ie noise)? And would it put you off when I finally come to sell and have viewers?

Also are they easy to hide away when in a bedroom?

Thanks

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:44 am

Hi,

Boilers are ok in bedrooms but noise can be problem so go for a quiet model.

Some are put into airing cupboards in bedrooms etc.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 am

Vaillant are quiet boilers helped by the insulated casing. In a normal environment, you can barely hear them running, but of course in a quiet bedroom, any boiler will be heard.

Many modern boilers no longer need spacious ventilated cupboards so can be enclosed to reduce sound levels. Sufficient access for an engineer is really the only consideration.

onestopbeds
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Boiler in the Bedroom

by onestopbeds » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:13 pm

I've personally lived in a bedroom which had quite an old fashioned boiler in it. I never had any problems with noise, but I've always been quite a deep sleeper. Also, as the boiler was quite old, it gave out quite a lot of heat - not great for energy efficiency but it kept my room warm all through the winter.

I think any modern boiler would be fine, as long as it's not being used heavily overnight.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1