Boiler Kettling
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rogerc41
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler Kettling

Post by rogerc41 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi there,

Ive got a 20+ year old Ideal Mexico Super boiler which is free standing in the kitchen. just lately have noticed that it becoming noisier, with a boiling water sound after the boiler has cycled on for a while. Presuming that this is kettling and the water is boiling in the boiler. It seems to get better if i turn the pump up to max flow. Do you think that the pump is on it's way out??

Also if it is the pump, would this explain why a radiator at the end of the circulation is constantly cold, no matter how much i try to balance the system?? Even with most other rads turned of on the lockshield valve it still won't heat.

Any help greatly welcomed

Rog

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Sounds like you need to make sure the system is fully bled of air starting with the lowest radiator & working up to the highest. if this hasn't solved the problem i would have someone check the boiler thermostat as there shouldn't be any kettling if this is working ok. IE: it should shut off before kettling.

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

Post by plastic_man77 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi rogerc41

My advice to you, with an old boiler and system, is to call in a heating engineer to service your boiler first- this probably wont cure any probs, but it will make sure everything is safe and worth spending any money on.

While you have the engineer at your house, tell him about the kettling noise and he should naturally troubleshoot the prob and give advice- show him your pump and radiator.

RJR

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1