Boiler - needs a new elec socket to plug into - how ...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnnyt
Labourer
Labourer

Boiler - needs a new elec socket to plug into - how ...

Post by johnnyt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

Just a bit of advice really if anyone can help :? , try to keep brief.

Bolier in upstairs small bedroom is a few years old but relatively new, but is plugged in to a mains socket like a tv 3 pin plug !!! (I know rubbish !) cable runs across the bedroom floor to a double socket about 3 feet away (Was like that when I moved in) which makes it easy to switch off by mistake too. 3 bed semi, combi boiler with built in timer. I have no seperate wall mounted temp thermostat either, rad & hot water can be turned up or down on boiler with dials. The boiler is in a small cupboard within the room, so ideally I need the boiler to plug into a new socket inside the cupboard (hard wired on the ring ?), also MUST i have a seperate thermostat dial ? (I know I can control heating better that way). There is a spare double socket across the room to extend from, tho annoyingly all the upstairs floors have a type of screeded / concrete base (not floorboards !). Guess a channel will have to be grooved out along the floor to reach from socket to cupboard. Not sure what hardware Ill need ? Im confident to do the work myself as long as I know what I need - & Im doing it the right way - however if Im not sure OR if legislation / laws say I cannot touch this then Ill get somone in to do the work correctly.

Quick other question - the double socket I mention is too low on the wall (& in way of new skirting) needs moving up to the standard height. Just wanted to know how electricians join cabling & cover them safetly ? ,luckily the skirting will cover old metal socket housing so there will be loads of room to join & cover over - could i just put a block in and join new solid core cabling to it - to go to new socket Ill put in ? (is this safe ?) - main priority is safety in all this. - No more questions now :D

Any feedback, however small would be great, thanks in advance to anyone, great site for knowledge. :P

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:22 pm

To be honest by the time you have bought the required tools and materials, it would be cheaper to get a qualified electrician in.

What you intend to can be done quite legally by you, under minor works.
This is not notifiable to building controls providing you are not installing a new circuit from your CU or working in a specail location(bath/shower room, garden etc...) or kitchen. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
You have permitted zones you can run cables, if they are not run within these zones need mechanical protection.
Cable jointing is permitted but must be easily accessible, so joining cable behind a skirting board is a no no.
Unless the joints are crimped or soldered (special tools required). An ashley box may also be allowed, but still some grey area regarding this product.
A fused connection unit my be best option regarding taking the spur from the double socket-outlet to the boiler and then hardwired rather than an outlet installed.
This like mentioned earlier is minor works and should by inspected and tested and certified (specialized equipment needed) to assure it complies to BS7671:2008 this is the relevant standards that electrician work to, it will also need to comply to part p of building regulations.
So get a man that can to do the work.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Usually a heating system only requires a 3amp supply, so could drop from the lighting circuit above, but may require that circuit to be controlled by a RCD/RCBO
I think also that it may come under partP and be notifiable.
Do you have TRV's, in which case a roomstat is not essential if a combi system.
Cables can best be extended by crimping and heat shrinking.

johnnyt
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks for the replies ...

Post by johnnyt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks kbrownie & bd3cc

As suspected you have confirmed one thing, I really need to get the job done properly & safetly

Really appreciate your replies,

John

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:36 pm