Boiler Positions
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nrg1977
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boiler Positions

by nrg1977 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Hello,

I just moved into a new house a few months ago and I'm trying to increase the kitchen space to make it a bit bigger for a dining area.

The problem is the current position of the boiler. At present it is against the wall that runs along the side of the house and this is right in what I would like to be the dining area, so I would like to get this moved.

What I would like to know is what are the general corgi rules with positioning a boiler. Is it possible to move it further along the side wall, nearer the back wall or would this be too close to the back door which would be about a foot away from it? Could it go into the larder cupboard or is ventilation a problem?

Anyone got any other ideas? I know it's going to cost a little bit to move this but don't really want to fork out a fortune.

Also, as the vent on the boiler currently goes out the side of the house, would there be problems if I wanted to build a garage onto the side of the house? Just anything I need to think about with regards future plans would be appreciated.

Cheers!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:12 pm

It depends on the type of boiler.

Room sealed boilers don't normally require any ventilation - some require cooling vents if fitted in a compartment.

As for the positioning next to the door - if it's room sealed, siting in the house near a door is not a problem.

The only problem may be the position of the flue externally from the door or window. Room sealed fanned flue needs to be at least 300mm from any opening door or window.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:12 pm

And you cannot terminate the flue into the "proposed garage"

The boiler can be a foot away from door or openable window as Htg says.

Hth

nrg1977
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nrg1977 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks guys,

It's a Worcester 28i. Do you think there will be any problems moving it onto the back wall of the house? Just thinking this will really scupper my plans if I can't build a garage on the side of my house because the vent will go into it.

Thanks again

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Follow the installation instructions and you can't go wrong. This'll have to be moved before you commence building work.

Moving onto the back wall of the house shouldn't be a problem as long as the flue terminal is:

300mm from doors and windows
300mm from airbricks
200mm below eaves, balconies and car ports
150mm from a drain pipe or soil pipe
300mm from an internal or external corner
300mm above ground, roof or balcony
600mm from a surface facing the terminal
1200mm from a terminal facing a terminal

Unsure about anything - get an engineer out, you'll need one to move the appliance anyway this is NOT a diy job, the pipe size may be right now, but moving even only a few metres the pipe size may not be suitable.

htg

da pickles
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Boiler Positions

by da pickles » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

[quote="nrg1977"]Hello,

I just moved into a new house a few months ago and I'm trying to increase the kitchen space to make it a bit bigger for a dining area.

The problem is the current position of the boiler. At present it is against the wall that runs along the side of the house and this is right in what I would like to be the dining area, so I would like to get this moved.

What I would like to know is what are the general corgi rules with positioning a boiler. Is it possible to move it further along the side wall, nearer the back wall or would this be too close to the back door which would be about a foot away from it? Could it go into the larder cupboard or is ventilation a problem?

Anyone got any other ideas? I know it's going to cost a little bit to move this but don't really want to fork out a fortune.

Also, as the vent on the boiler currently goes out the side of the house, would there be problems if I wanted to build a garage onto the side of the house? Just anything I need to think about with regards future plans would be appreciated.

Cheers![/quote]
why dont you move the boiler into the garage when its built then do the dining room as long as the boiler is room sealed there's no problem

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:28 am