boiler problems!
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hanaboulton
Labourer
Labourer

boiler problems!

by hanaboulton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi, I have just moved into a new flat and have been experiencing the problems with the boiler. The landlord has had an engineer out two weeks ago who said part of it was overheating and we needed a new part. The problem is this: we have intermittent spells of hot water, roughly one minute and inconsistent. We cannot run the bath and cannot get hot water every time we run the tap - the other day there was none at all all day. For the past few days there has been a strange smell coming from the boiler (which is in our bedroom). It is not a gas smell, but unpleasant nonetheless. We have a carbon monoxide detector next to the boiler but are extremely worried!

What could it be?

Hope you can put our minds at rest as the landlord is dragging his heels. Should I get an engineer out myself or wait for him to?

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:36 pm

He has a responsibility to ensure safety of gas appliances, any smell may be dangerous.

I would contact the landlord, explain your concerns if he doesn't get someone out. You have a couple of options, you can phone an engineer yourself and forward the bill to your landlord - but will he pay up ? or phone the gas emergency number 0800 111 999, as the smell may be fumes. He will disconnect the appliance, issue a notice then you landlord has no option but to get an engineer out as you will have no heating ot water.

As for the water problem it's likely to be the diverter at fault possibly the diaphragm (depending on make and model of boiler).

htg

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 am