Bomb Proof an Oiled Oak Table
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
max101
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bomb Proof an Oiled Oak Table

Post by max101 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi,

We have an oak dining table with a basic oil finish. It's lovely but if we have visitors, occasionally they might put a wet glass on it and make a stain which is depressing. So far, there's not too much damage.

However, shortly we will be adopting 3 young children aged 4-7 and we know that they will generally trash the place.

I'm thinking that we should just varnish the top and be done with it.

Origionally we were thinking of putting a glass top on it so that we could remove it later but we think that some liquids might dribble in between and do even more damage.

I was thinking of putting a clear polyurethane varnish on but I have also heard that its a nightmare to get off if it doesn't take or if its damaged.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!!

Max :?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:59 pm

it shouldn't be a nightmare to remove - a good sand with a palm sander, or belt sander at worst. coarse grade to start with, then finer and finish in line with the grain by hand. polyurethane varnish is definitely the way i'd go.

only problem that you may encounter is that oak can resist varnishes, lacquers, paint etc due to the natural resins in the wood - can be an issue with many hardwoods, teak is a particular problem.

but no reason not to give it a try. if it doesn't take then it would be easy to remove surely?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:43 am