Good evening all,
I have had a good look online and on this forum for what I want to know and have found some useful information but still have some gaps that I hope people can help me with.
It is currently a bedroom on the 1st floor in a Vicorian house and measures 3.4m x 2.8m. The joists are 6" x 2" spaced with 400mm centres. When I walk on the floor it bounces and the handles on the wardrobe wobble, when my 2 year old daughter (it's her bedroom) runs and jumps around it sounds like she is going to fall through the floor when downstairs!
I am in the process of splitting this room in half with a stud wall and create a bathroom and bedroom. A heated floor with porcalean tiles for the flooring.
1) I will be carrying out the work this Friday
2) Sister the existing joists with 1 x 6 " x 2"
3) Which ever mechanical fixing method chosen glue will be used
4) 12mm plywood on top of the floor boards
1) M12 square head bolts, square washers & timber joiners or 6.5 80mm Joist Screws?
2) Will shuttering ply suffice, I can PVA it if need be?
3) Is it worth using joist hangers and if so can I still sister the joists?
4) Slightly off topic - will I need to strip the lath & plaster off the existing external walls when tiling?
Thank you for your time