Boxing in pipework
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
doobieman
Labourer
Labourer

Boxing in pipework

Post by doobieman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 pm

I have some unsightly pipework which runs vertically from ceiling to floor in a room.

How do I box these pipes in making a neat and tidy job?

I have some decent wood which I would like to use but don't know how to attach, firstly 2 sides of the'box' to the wall and secondly, how to attach the 3rd side of the 'box' to the 2 sides.

Cheers :roll:

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:02 am

Hi. How deep do you need the box to be? Less than a couple of inches then glue or screw two lengths of 2 by 2 (or 2 by 1, or whatever) to the wall either side of the pipework making sure the they are parallel. Cut and glue or screw lengths of your decent wood to the outside edge of the 2x2. Then cut and glue/screw the decent wood across the front. One tip, if you screw the covers on, do make sure you screw into the 2x2, not the pipes – it has happened!

(Second tip, don't make a feature of the boxing in, however decent the covering wood you still don't really want to draw the eye to what is ultimately boxed in pipework. Making it blend in rather than stand out is often better.)

doobieman
Labourer
Labourer

Post by doobieman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks Oddbod.

Your method is spot on.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 pm