Brazing brass bar at a right angle advice needed!
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
104peterb
Labourer
Labourer

Brazing brass bar at a right angle advice needed!

by 104peterb » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum here, and was hoping to get some advice on brazing brass bar.

I appreciate that this is a difficult metal to braze as a novice, but I am determined to get this right and would really appreciate any advice.

I'm trying to braze x2 pieces of 20x20mm brass bar at a right angle, which is a test piece for a table frame I have designed. The joint will be non-load bearing (on the real thing), so only requires a small simple joint for decoration.

I am currently struggling to reach the correct brazing temperature. I spent 40mins today with a MAPP gas torch tryin to heat up the joint, but the filler just wasn't melting or flowing, unless I directed the flame directly onto it. Am I doing something wrong here? I used what I thought was enough flux, but after 40mins of heating there seemed to be no sign of flux left whatsoever. 40mins seemed extortionate.

This was also done outside in the garden for better ventilation, but I now wonder if this should be done inside for temperature purposes?

I would be extremely helpful for any pointers and advice anyone can share.

Best regards,

Pete

thedoctor

Re: Brazing brass bar at a right angle advice needed!

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:07 am

According to our guys on site, brazing brass requires a temp of 450 degrees C. If there is any kind of breeze outside this might be difficult to achieve

104peterb
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Brazing brass bar at a right angle advice needed!

by 104peterb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:28 am

Great, many thanks for your post.

I bought some fire bricks at the weekend for better insulation so will have a go at brazing in my brick shed (well ventilated!). Will post an update on how I get on.

Best regards,

Peter

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 pm