british gas want me to have a Magnaclear for £695
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ceborame
Labourer
Labourer

british gas want me to have a Magnaclear for £695

Post by ceborame » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:53 am

I have homecare with british gas. We have a ravenheat boiler. We have called them out a few times over the years. The last time was Friday and the engineer said we need a Powerflush with Magnaclear fitted, at a cost of £695 ! he said if we don't have it fitted they will charge us for any further water related call outs.

What do you think of this, I pay nearly £20 a month for this service plan, they have never told us on recent visits there was a problem re-occuring, and at £695 that's nearly as much as another brand new boiler !

Comments welcome, many thanks Mick

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 am

What's been the problems with the system for them to suggest this ?

Cold spots on radiators ?
Sludge build up ?
Radiators not working ?
Blocked pipework ?
Buil up of debri/sludge in pump, diverter or main heat-exchanger ?

If you have had any of the above problems then maybe it needs flushing, but if it does shop around, get it done and keep the receipt.

BG will rip you off, charging top whack. You'll get it done cheaper elsewhere. If you can provide a receipt saying it has been done - i can't see them having any comeback.

ceborame
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ceborame » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:47 pm

the problem is the boiler plays up and we call them out. their saying its due to sludge in the water.

I've priced these up and they cost £99.99 on plumbworld, and fitting looks simple enough for me to do it.

would you put some additive in the water too ?

Mick

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I would flush system and add sludge remover, leave in the system for a week or so then drain and flush a few times. Refill and add inhibitor and see how that goes.

I wouldn't pay for a powerflush before trying the above. As I have said in many of my posts BG will do and say anything to get to powerflush a system or install a new boiler - as they're the jobs that make the most money.

I haven't spoken to anyone that has BG homecare that recommends or is satisfied with the service.

carlb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by carlb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Sometimes it's easy to suggest a powerflush to get out of an awkward situation, however, it may quite likely need flushing and whoever does it make sure its done by professionals. It takes pretty much a full day to flush an average system (which is what you are paying for ).
Filling and draining a few times with sludge remover may not help much.
I would highly recommend Magnaclean and they are simple to fit but they are best fitted after the system has been cleaned. Good Luck.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 pm

"It takes pretty much a full day to flush an average system (which is what you are paying for ) "

Magnaclean £100
Let's say £60 for cleanser and inhibitor
So Labour £535

10 hours £53.50 per hour ??? (they wont be there 10 hours either)

I wish that was my hourly rate, I think i'll buy a flushing machine, it'll pay for itself after two jobs. Only problem is I have a conscience.

You can get powerflushes much cheaper - normally around £200 - £350 depending on who you get. But be sure that's what you need.

carlb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by carlb » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I was not justifying BG's quote, on the contrary I've been to many jobs where BG have recommended flushing ( in one case for a stuck TRV !),
I was just pointing out that it is an expensive process and if it needs doing should be done properly.
My main point was the benefit of a magnaclean.
I also don't know of anyone who would powerflush for as little as £200 (certainly not in the SE anyway ) they must be very busy.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 am

I'm not too sure about the cost myself but I know BG rip people off with most services they provide. I had a look on the internet for the prices of powerflushes and found a company that does an economy,standard or deluxe power flush ranging between £200 - £350.

And I've heard of other company's quoting stupid prices for powerflushes too. Many without even taking a radiator off the wall, removing a pump sometimes only being in the property for a matter of minutes - powerflushing is the diagnosis.

Had one where the pilot light kept going out - had someone out who said, the boiler is overheating and a powerflush is required -

Yeah right or maybe just a thermocouple ??? Repaired for £25.

That's why I advise people on here to make sure a power flush is required get a few engineers out - get one or two that only do repairs (dont own a flushing machine).

In my emperience and i'm not saying everyone - but if they own a flushing machine they see it as easy money and a powerflush is not normally required.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:06 am

FLUSHING OF DRAINS IS ANOTHER "MONEY MAKING MACHINE."
WHEN ALL THAT IS REALLY REQUIRED IS A "RODDING."

IT JUST GOES TO PROVE WHAT A "RIP OFF CULTURE" WE ALL LIVE IN!!!

THERE APPEARS TO BE VERY LITTLE HONESTY IN MANY TRADES ANYMORE!!! (IF THERE EVER WAS).
"PRESENT FORUM COMPANY EXCEPTED."

IF YOU FIND A GOOD TRADESPERSON, HOLD ON TO THEM AND RECOMMEND THEM TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:01 pm

I totally agree, if you manage to get a good tradesman keep hold of his contacts and recommend him. I always use and recommend the same electrician, plasterer, tiler and bricklayer.

I work for a company 37 hours per week - and I like my time off so try not to do any work outside my normal working hours except for family and friends (freebies are the worst jobs) - but because of recommendations off friends and family and past jobs i've done - it keeps my pocket money topped up.

I needed a garden wall building - got 4 quotes
£3600 x 2, £2600 and £1200

The one I went for was the £1200 I thought to myself going for cheapest is not always the best - so I asked for a few addresses he had worked at - had a look at some of his work and I was impressed at the quality.

I just can't understand why the price varied so much for exactly the same job.

There are decent tradesmen out there but for every good'un there's many more willing to rip you off.

Miller42
Labourer
Labourer

System flush

Post by Miller42 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Be Carefull my nephew could not get hot water and was told his system needed a flush Can't remember the price but it was over £650, the engineer showed them a piece of pipe taken from the sytem it was blocked solid with lime.
Nephew called me and asked for my opinion, I knew the system did not have any blockages because I repaired a leak earlier in the year, so I asked him to find out where the pipe the engineer showed them came from, I then had a look in the area and removed a straight piece of pipe (my cousin was sure the one he was shown had a bend in it) the pipe each side of the joint was as clear as could be with the copper showing bright.
Using logic I took out the diverter valve and found the hot water side was jammed shut I found a piece of wood on the floor but could not swear it came out of the valve. The outcome was I put it all back together, must be about nine months ago and everything worked perfectly. I took loads of photos but the sad part was my cousin hates confrontation and would not follow it up with the company.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:34 pm

I HEAR OF EXAMPLES LIKE YOURS ALL THE TIME.

THERE IS OR SEAMS TO BE "NO CONSISTANCY" IN THE MARKET PLACE ANY MORE!!!

IN SOME AREAS, I THINK IT IS DOWN TO TOO MANY TRADESPEOPLE FIGHTING FOR TOO LITTLE WORK THAT MAY BE AT FAULT.

ITS REALLY HARD TO BE DEFINITIVE!!!

TRADESPEOPLE CHARGE WHAT THEY LIKE AND A LOT OF CUSTOMERS PAY UP BECAUSE THEY ARE WELL SHOD OR LIVING ON CREDIT OR JUST DON'T WANT ANY HASSLE.

PERVERSELY, SOME OF THOSE TRADESPEOPLE WHO HAVE A LOT OF WORK ON MAY GIVE AN OVER QUOTE SO THEY DONT GET THE JOB. (PICK AND CHOOSE)(BUT IF THEIR QUOTE IS ACCEPTED, THEN THEY ARE QUIDS IN)

THOSE THAT HAVENT GOT MUCH ON WILL QUOTE SLIGHTLY LOWER THAN A REALISTIC PRICE JUST TO GET WORK IN.

THEN THERE IS THE QUALITY OF WORK ISSUE, YOU CAN GET GOOD CHEAP JOB DONE OR A POOR EXPENSIVE ONE.

AS YOU SAY H.E. THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD AND THE RIP OFF MERCHANTS.

IF ONLY IT WAS AN IDEAL WORLD!!!

REGARDS,

ALDA.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1