Broken Kitchen mixer tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nicola Farley-Jones
Labourer
Labourer

Broken Kitchen mixer tap

by Nicola Farley-Jones » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:40 pm

I have a kitchen mixer tap, and the taps are 1/4 turn. The hot tap was turned on, and will now not turn off. When we try and turn the tap off, it feel like the tap is slipping over the fixing inside, and therefore not turning it off.

I have turned the water off at the stop cock, and have taken the tap cover off and tightened up the screw in the tap. This does not seem to have had any affect.

I don't really want to buy a whole new tap, and am confident I just need a replacement part, but don't know which one to buy. Please can you give me some advice on how to resolve this. :lol:

strevs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by strevs » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Check the fit between the actual tap head and the tap body. Leave off the cover over the screw and turn the handle. if the screw stays in the same position, then splines (or whatever) are worn. Just changing tap heads may cure the problem or if screw does not hold head down hard enough a slightly longer screw may do... If screw turns then remove head and try turning top with mole grips or pliers. If it turns but water keeps coming out then its replacement time....

Nicola Farley-Jones
Labourer
Labourer

by Nicola Farley-Jones » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, great help and now all fixed :lol:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm