Brown "algae" in hot water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fungobungo
Labourer
Labourer

Brown "algae" in hot water

by fungobungo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 pm

I have what looks like brown algae coming out of my hot water taps. I assume it's also in the boiler. How do I deal with this?

I assume that I need to drain the boiler (I may need to get a tradesman to to this) but I'm concerned that the algae will just come back after a while.

Grateful for any help!

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Do you have an indirect hot water system - ie hot water cylinder with cold water tank in loft?

if so are you sure the cylinder coil hasnt broken and that central heating wayer isnt getting into your hot water? - could be gunk from this.

fungobungo
Labourer
Labourer

by fungobungo » Tue May 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Yes, have a cold water tank in loft and a hot water cylinder. Don't have radiators however - have a warm air heating system in the house (yes - weird I Know!). Not sure how the air is heated - directly or via hot water. Not sure if this makes a difference re cylinder coil.

Assume a new water tank would fix this!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:20 pm

the gunk is almost certainly in the boiler/heating side (it will still feed the heat exchange coil in the hot water cylinder even though it is not feeding radiators). most likely is that the coil in the cylinder has ruptured.

it is possible that the gunk is getting into the cylinder from the CWSC in the loft if that is heavily sedimented, might be worth draining and cleaning it out.

if the coil has ruptured then its a new cylinder. you will have to clean and flush the whole system anyway so replacing the cylinder should solve the problem wherever the algae is coming from.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 pm

it is also worth noting that if this disappears (given how long ago this was posted), the problem is in fact still there and that the water has run clear as fresh water is drawn in to replace the treated water that you have lost.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:46 am