All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coldnfedup
Labourer
Labourer

Brown hot water

by coldnfedup » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi all

I have a problem with an old heating system. Our hot water cylinder needed replacement due to a leak and British Gas replaced it and all seem well until the pump packed in a few months later. BG replace that and from that time we constantly suffered brown hot water.

The system is a Parkray 401 (20 odd years old) with a back boiler feeding a new primatic cylinder. there are also 8 radiators.

BG claim the problem is due to the fact that the pump is too powerful for the primatic cylinder, which accounts for it happening just after the new pump was fitted, and the pump cannot be turned down to a level which will not "blow the bubble". They (BG) also claim there is not a pump available which is slow enough not to "blow the bubble".

Am I being fed a generous helping of BS by BG or is there a viable solution to allow us to get hotwater back into our radiators?

Help and suggestions of how to deal with this problem or British Gas would be appreciated

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:52 am

If BG have fitted the cylinder and the pump get them to sort it.

So pump is too powerful and there's no other pump that could be fitted - then they fitted the wrong cylinder. Ask them to change it.

If you have the BG homecare, once this problem is sorted I'd cancel, and get someone else in to carry out the repairs.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:47 pm