Building a conservatory on or near an inspection cover....
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Building a conservatory on or near an inspection cover....

by The Riviera Kid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi folks,

This is one for the future, but I thought I'd discuss it now so I'm clued up lol.

We wish to add a rear convervatory to the house at some point in the future. This could be professionally installed, part installed/part DIY, or mostly DIY. Something I need to ask is relating to an inspection cover that could possibly end up being underneath the conservatory, or would at the very least be very close to it. I've heard that you can re-inforce the area around the inspection cover and have access from within the conservatory, which is not ideal but workable. The question I have is more to do with building regulations/planning permission/water company issues, than the actual construction side.

What we have is an approx 36cm inspection cover with what looks like black pipe around the outside, and the cover itself made of stone/concrete with the words "Bartol Plastidrain Inspection Cover" engraved into it. Is this likely to throw up any issues with Building Control/Planning Permission - and are the water company responsible for the pipework likely to object to a conservatory being built as long as the work is done as to not cause any damage to the pipes?

Possibly less relevant, but it might help build up a picture of what we're dealing with, there is one of these at the front of the house, more or less in a direct line from the back. Approximately 52cm wide in metal with "Hepworth Inspection Cover" on it.

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/2636303761_d3e3fa5947.jpg?v=0[/img]

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:56 am