Building a retaining garden wall......help please!

Postby nic_kay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:02 pm

Afternoon All,

I am looking to replace the existing conifers and small retaining wall of my boundary with a high brick wall.

I would like to get help regarding the construction in order to make a planning application in the next month.

Details: 27m boundary wall, retaining height is approx 0.5m, with the low side being into the garden. Existing wall is single brick approx 0.5m high.

I would like to understand the most appropriate means of construction and what foundations and provision for buttresses would be required. I would also see some risk in removing the existing wall, so would look to a means of building on or over the existing wall such that is gives a face of new brick on both in inner and outer surface.

I would also welcome any comments regarding pervious experience/costs of doing such work as well.

Cheers,
Nick :)
nic_kay

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby gaconsult » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:08 am

A one brick thick wall (225mm) on a 450mm deep 400 x 250 thick concrete froundation should suffice for retaining 0.5m. In corporate weepholes at 1m centres and provide movement joints at say 3m to 6m centres to allow for movement.

gaconsult
gaconsult

Sort by
Order by