Building a small wall...
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mrwalkermakemeawall
Labourer
Labourer

Building a small wall...

Post by mrwalkermakemeawall » Sat May 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi, appreciate any advice...
We're having a new kitchen fitted and its got a split level breakfast counter. The first counter (breakfast bar) will have the gas hob cut into it and cabinets beneath. There is to be a splash back 200mm high which meets the second counter.
I want to build a small stud wall to run the length of the counter from one wall, the wall will divide the two counter tops.
What is the best way to secure the wall to the floor (floorboards)?
Thanks again.
g

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat May 24, 2008 11:11 pm

Screw the floorplate down.

You may like to consider fitting noggins between the joists to facilitate doing this securely.

Cheers

mrwalkermakemeawall
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Building a small wall...

Post by mrwalkermakemeawall » Sun May 25, 2008 10:02 pm

[quote="mrwalkermakemeawall"]Hi, appreciate any advice...
We're having a new kitchen fitted and its got a split level breakfast counter. The first counter (breakfast bar) will have the gas hob cut into it and cabinets beneath. There is to be a splash back 200mm high which meets the second counter.
I want to build a small stud wall to run the length of the counter from one wall, the wall will divide the two counter tops.
What is the best way to secure the wall to the floor (floorboards)?
Thanks again.
g[/quote]

Thanks for that, the wall just seems so top heavy, worried it'll have movement.

mrwalkermakemeawall
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mrwalkermakemeawall » Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 pm

[quote="rosebery"]Screw the floorplate down.

You may like to consider fitting noggins between the joists to facilitate doing this securely.

Cheers[/quote]

Also...the floor plate will be well and truly secure but what can i do to strengthen vertical sides attached to it. I thought of diagonal supports but the wall is only 300mm max depth, just seems all height and very little depth.

thanks for your advice tho

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Building a small wall...

Post by Perry525 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:25 pm

You are right to consider the strength issue.
You need to make the wall heavy and strong.
Either use 18mm ply where ever possible, fixed to the joists under the floor with steel brackets.
Or make up a steel frame that can be bolted through the floor to steel plates under.
Keep in mind that a 20 stone adult falling against a simple structure will undoubtedly wreck it and possible hurt themselves, you may then end up with a claim that your insurers will dismiss.
Perhaps a redesign keeping this in mind is called for.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu May 29, 2008 10:02 am

I didn't read the OPs question as being a free standing wall as Perry seems to have done rather a divider between 2 back to back elements of the kitchen.

Perhaps Mr Walker could clarify. Thanks.

Cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:05 am