Building accross electrical supply cables
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kay159
Labourer
Labourer

Building accross electrical supply cables

by Kay159 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:59 am

Can someone please help me with a definite answer to a problem
I am having a disabled extension built onto the back of my property
The house is a semi and the main electrical supply cables in the estate run across the back of each property about 3mtrs from the ground
The architect has drawn the plans stating that roof eaves will come higher than this and that the existing mains supply cables will be incorporated into the roof void (ie built over) and the roof flashing sealed around them
The first company quoting for the work have told me this is illegal as the cables not only feed my own property but link the supply to my neighbours. As such the electric company may in the future need to have access to either repair or relocate them and they will need to be diverted around the pitch of the roof
The second company quoting for the work have just been and said that we can build over them and that the roof line will offer some protection so will not be including a sum for relocation in their quote
Who is right as it worries me that the electricity company may need access in the future and be forced to take down the roof of the extension to gain that access
We have already had to redraw the plans to ensure that the drains are not built over so does the same thing apply to the mains cables running accross the back of the property

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Building accross electrical supply cables

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:58 pm

[quote="Kay159"]Can someone please help me with a definite answer to a problem
I am having a disabled extension built onto the back of my property
The house is a semi and the main electrical supply cables in the estate run across the back of each property about 3mtrs from the ground
The architect has drawn the plans stating that roof eaves will come higher than this and that the existing mains supply cables will be incorporated into the roof void (ie built over) and the roof flashing sealed around them
The first company quoting for the work have told me this is illegal as the cables not only feed my own property but link the supply to my neighbours. As such the electric company may in the future need to have access to either repair or relocate them and they will need to be diverted around the pitch of the roof
The second company quoting for the work have just been and said that we can build over them and that the roof line will offer some protection so will not be including a sum for relocation in their quote
Who is right as it worries me that the electricity company may need access in the future and be forced to take down the roof of the extension to gain that access
We have already had to redraw the plans to ensure that the drains are not built over so does the same thing apply to the mains cables running accross the back of the property[/quote]

KAY159
My advice to you would b to contact the elecric supply company , and find out what thier comments r on your architects and builders plans.
you must find out what the rules for access r by the electric company
who r normaly responsible for the incoming supply up to the main cut out
fuse and metering equipment . normaly they need to have access to the cables , for breakdowns , faults , and maintainance.
i would check asap

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Very few of us are really concerned with Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (ESQCR). So all we can go on is common sense and the idea of power lines travelling through the premises does not seem a good idea. I would suggest to phone your supply company (This may be different to billing agent) and talk to them. I would expect it will need moving. Aerial cables are not always insulated to the same extent as cable where you can normally touch them and of course are air cooled and inclosing them could cause over heating.
Normally protection by placing out of reach 410.3.5 is only permitted where skilled or instructed persons are working there and that would not include your builders.
410.3.9 restricts metal parts but these are not supply regulations self-supporting suspension cables would normally be installed at a height of at least 6 m.
I think you will find the supply authority will need to move them 3 meters seems very low.
Eric

mephistico
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mephistico » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:30 am

Are you sure it's power and not BT? 3.0mtrs is too low for power (It should be 5.2 mtrs minimum for overheads).
Either way, the supply cables need to be diverted around your property rather than through - In the event of damage, fault etc, there would be access issues.
Supply authority is best bet as a starting point.

Kay159
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics

by Kay159 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:46 pm

No its definitely the electrics
The mains feed runs along the back of each semi about 1m below the upstairs windows
It comes out ofthe ground at one end of the street then links between each block and then goes back underground to cross the road to the next street
These are not overhead cables and the houses are quite old so suppose it was the way they did things back then - my dads old house in the next village was exactly the same - I can post a photo if it helps

sparkydude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparkydude » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:13 pm

As advised by opthers check with your DNO as they are the ones who make the rules up, they may make you pay to have the cables moved, and then again they might not, it depends how they feel at the time, but running through your loft void i would have thought is going to be a No No as if overloaded it could burn your house down , at least on the outide no real damage is likeley to occur but build it into your loft and it is a different story.

Nick

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 pm