Building approval to build an internal archway

Postby kareny » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:54 pm

We would like to remove some double doors which separate the living room from the dining room and put in an arch way to increase the living accommodation. Does this need planning approval. Can we do this ourselves or do we need a structural engineer before carrying out the works?
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi kareny,
If the wall is a load bearing/supporting wall you will not need planning permission but building controls should be notified. They will charge and inspect the work done. An engineer will need to to structual calcs, but you can do the building work yourself.
Good Luck
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics